Sunday 18 December 2011

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts~



 
I know, I know.  Two savory posts in a row!  Too many holiday parties, lunches, gatherings keeping me out of the kitchen...but I'll be back to baking tomorrow!

When your dad asks for a bowl of leftover Brussels sprouts for breakfast, you know they were cooked to perfection. The original recipe calls for 1/4 cup of roasted, chopped pecans, but I left them out this time...hoping I could get my kids to try a nibble.  Go ahead and add them in at the end if you wish...they add a delicious crunch. This ended up being a treat for myself on Thanksgiving (and my dad)...the picky ones didn't care to try one measly bite.

Sautéed Brussels Sprouts...adapted from Saveur

1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
2-4 garlic cloves, minced
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup roasted pecans, chopped (optional)

Cook the Brussels sprouts in boiling, salted water until just tender, 3-5 minutes.  Drain and allow to cool slightly.  When cool enough to handle, cut each sprout in half.


Heat butter and oil in a large skillet.  Add onions and cook till golden.  Add minced garli and Brussels sprouts and saute till sprouts are lightly browned.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Add pecans if using.

Print
 

No comments:

Post a Comment