Sunday 18 December 2011

Lamb Kebabs...Not French Fridays with Dorie





 
I am the daring eater in our household.  A few of my forays away from the standard meat and potatoes my hubby grew up with have become his new favorites. Rice and pasta were infrequent on his dinner table, and ethnic dishes were pretty much non-existent. But when a lamb curry was up on our French Friday queue, I knew I'd have to pass.  Bill loves lamb, thanks to an introduction to a garlicky Easter leg of lamb my mom served early in our marriage, but he would not be thrilled with another curry of any sort. I will continue to pacify such food cravings when I dine out.


I still wanted to post a lamb dish, and found a highly praised Souvlakia recipe shared by my friend, Linda. Check out her blog, How to Cook a Wolf, for some great recipes...there is nothing on her blog that I haven't adored.  Cubed lamb is marinated overnight in wine, red wine vinegar, parsley, Greek oregano, garlic, lemon, onion and thyme. The flavorful lamb is grilled on skewers with onions and red bell pepper, creating one amazing entree. Serve with a big Greek salad and rice or pita bread for a delectable dinner!

Don't miss my Thanksgiving Giveaway~


Lamb Kebabs (Souvlakia)...adapted from Greek Cookery Marin via my friend, Linda


2 pounds lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes (my butcher cubed some leg of lamb)
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup parsley, minced
1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
2+ large cloves of garlic, minced
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme or sprinkle of dried thyme
1 large onion, cut into 1 inch chunks
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1 inch chunks


Combine wine, vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper, parsley, oregano, lemon juice and onion in large ziplock bag.  Add lamb and mix to combine. Marinate overnight in the fridge.


Skewer lamb chunks with slices of onion and bell pepper. Grill to desired doneness.


Print

Greek Salad...adapted from another friend, Linda

Lettuce, I use Iceberg or Romaine 
14 ounce can artichoke hearts, drained and halved
English cucumber, peeled and cut in chunks
Red bell pepper, cut into pieces
Tomatoes, chopped (I use grape tomatoes when ripe summer tomatoes are unavailable)
1/2 cup Feta cheese crumbles


1/3 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to taste


Make dressing and set aside.  Cut up lettuce into bite sized pieces.  Add the rest of ingredients and toss with dressing before serving.


Print

No comments:

Post a Comment