Sunday 18 December 2011

Holiday Thumbprint Cookies~

 
The first of my holiday cookie exchanges is tomorrow, so when sweet Jen, of The Three Little Piglets, asked if I'd guest post for her upcoming series on the 12 Days of Cookies, I knew it was just the push I needed. These thumbprints are festive and delicious.  When I asked my hubby if he liked them, with a twinkle in his eye, he replied that he needed about 5 more before reaching a verdict. I quickly packed up the 48 I needed for the party and hid them in the freezer...knowing my gang, they could disappear fast!

I hope you'll go check out my guest post on Jen's blog...tell her I sent you over. You won't be disappointed with her wonderful recipes and fabulous photography.

Holiday Thumbprints...adapted from my friend Paula who had her recipe posted in Southern Living

2 cups butter, at room temperature
1 1/3 cups sugar
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vanilla
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

Icing #1 (enough for half a batch):
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Icing #2 (enough for half a batch)
1 cup powdered sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon hot water
Food coloring/paste

M & Ms, optional garnish 


Cream butter and sugar till light and fluffy.  Add egg yolks one at a time and mix till well blended.  Add vanilla.  Add flour and salt and mix till dough forms.  Cover and chill dough at least an hour.


Preheat oven to 300º.  Line baking sheets with parchment.  Roll dough into balls about 1 inch in diameter. Place about 2 inches apart on cookie sheet.  Press your thumb into the center of each dough ball, leaving a round indentation.  Bake for about 20 minutes.  Do not let brown.

If necessary, carefully use your thumb or the back of a measuring spoon to re-indent cookies after they come out of the oven.  Allow to cool. Fill indentation with icing of your choice. Top with an M & M if desired.


To make Icing #1, heat sugar, cocoa and milk in saucepan.  Bring to a boil and cook for a couple minutes, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat, and stir in butter and vanilla.  Allow to cool, then whip to spreading consistency.

To make Icing #2, mix powdered sugar and butter.  Add enough water to bring to spreading consistency.  Add food coloring if desired.

Makes about 7 dozen.


Print

Linked to Bake with Bizzy

No comments:

Post a Comment