Sunday 18 December 2011

Rustic Farro Soup~




I had my first taste of farro in Florence at Trattoria dei Quattro Leoni and was instantly a fan. So I had high expectations for this soup...it smelled wonderful as it simmered away in the kitchen.  Bill wasn't thrilled with the taste...and I thought it was just so-so.  BUT, after letting it sit in the fridge overnight, a magic transformation occurred.  The flavors danced and blended while we slept...and I did a complete 180 with my review. I also think the full cup of wine and large can of tomatoes may have made this more acidic than the original recipe, so I've given you the option of using a smaller amount of each.  I hope you will try this lovely soup...just close your eyes and imagine yourself in Tuscany~


Rustic Farro Soup...adapted from Whole Foods Market

1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons minced garlic
4 links Italian sausage, sliced
8 ounces sliced mushrooms
14.5 or 28 ounce can diced tomatoes with juice
1/2-1 cup dry red wine
5 cups chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
7 ounces uncooked farro, rinsed and soaked for at least 3 hours
Bag of baby spinach
1-1 1/2 teaspoons salt (depending on how salty your broth is)
1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons thyme, chopped
Grated Parmesan cheese


In a large pot, heat oil, then add carrots, celery, onions and garlic till onions become translucent.  Add sausage and brown.  Add mushrooms and when cooked, add tomatoes, wine, broth, red pepper flakes and farro.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until farro is tender, about an hour.  Add spinach, salt and pepper and stir till spinach is wilted.  Add thyme.

Serve with fresh Parmesan and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.


Serves 6.

Print 

Linked to Soup Blog Hop~



Me, embarrassing the family (my major role in life).
Quattro Leoni, June 2010 

PS...I received a blogger award this week from Nichole of The Cookaholic Wife.  Stop by and support her lovely blog! I will be back to award this to 5 bloggers with less than 50 followers~

 

No comments:

Post a Comment